I had VirtualBox 3.2.8 installed on my system (Windows XP, i686). When I tried to install latest version 4.1.8, the installation sequence asked to uninstall version 3.2.8 and that required executable file of VirtualBox3.2.8.
Which I had deleted! 😦
Now, what to do?
- I deleted VirtualBox folder from my program files directory.
- Then, my friend Chetan suggested me to remove registry entries. Run “regedit” in ‘Start->Run’.
- Now search(ctrl+F) for “virtualbox”; you would get many keys. The registry editor has two panes. Right side shows the key value and left side shows the containing location.
- On the left pane, look out for folder that is in “open” icon (there would be only one folder looking different from others). Delete this folder.
- Keep searching for the string by “F3” and keep deleting these folders.
- You should get a message from Windows that registry scan finds no such word now.
- Now, try installing VirtualBox. It worked for me 🙂