Flash is an inexpensive and fast cache for servers. There are many solutions that manage flash and offer system-wide or application-specific acceleration. Major solutions are as follows:
- Sandisk FlashSoft
- Intel Cache Accelerator Software
- EMC XtremSW
- NetApp FlashCache
- LSI Nytro
- These solutions cache disk blocks and uses flash as the primary tier of storage.
- Since flash is way faster than disk, I/O speed up could reach 2x- 20x.
- These solutions are pure s/w, s/w+h/w, stay in kernel and work at driver level
- Intel CAS can accelerate selected applications on a system
- There is no major differentiators among these solutions, except price 🙂